Tuesday 30 April 2024

COL - Developing a Hunch

Here were some of the issues that I had identified with my literacy class through surveys and observations:

1. Students were wasting a lot of class time when they were not with the teacher
2. There was not enough reading mileage happening for students
3. The reading programme needed to be used more effectively to enhance writing
4. Students needed strategies to deal with distractions
5. It was difficult to find suitable texts to motivate older students who struggled with reading

An important stage when undertaking an inquiry is developing a hunch. The idea is that a hypothesis is a tentative answer to our research question that has not yet been tested.

How to formulate? The simplest way is to use this form: if...then…
For example: “If I encourage my students to write for real reasons, then they will be motivated to write.”

Before arriving at our next COL meeting we had to generate at least 3 hunches to share with our colleagues.

Hunch One: If I find or create texts to help older students who struggle with reading, it will motivate them to read more

I find that it is not very engaging or interesting for older students to read books targeted for younger readers. Unfortunately, when older students are well behind with their reading levels, then generally the texts are quite basic and do not really appeal to older students.

Hunch Two: If I create an interesting literacy programme/activities, then it will keep students motivated and on task when they are not with me

I have noticed that when students are with me during guided reading sessions, most are quite engaged and focused on reading. However, I have noticed that many of the other students in the class tend to be off task and do not complete enough of their learning tasks on time.

Hunch Three: If I can find a way to motivate students, then they will read more often (mileage)

One of the results from the student survey showed that students were not spending enough time reading. Much of the focused reading for students seemed to occur during guided reading sessions with the teacher.

Hunch Four: If I can focus on improving behavioural and cognitive engagement, my students will improve their ability to focus and improve their reading skills.

Student engagement is a big issue in my classroom, especially among many of the boys in my class. I think that if they were provided with strategies to improve their levels of engagement, then it will help them to stay more focused in class.






No comments:

Post a Comment