Monday 20 May 2024

COL: Inquiry Focus

 I have decided to focus on 3 key areas in my literacy programme for my COL Inquiry:

  1. Student Engagement

  2. Vocabulary Building

  3. Extended Discussion


This was based on my data, observations, surveys, hunches and the needs of the target students in my literacy class. It was also based around a need in Team 5 (Year 7 & 8) that was identified and addressed by our Team Leader, Mr Wiseman. 


Why?


Student Engagement: I noticed that this was a big issue during literacy lessons. Students appeared to be engaged in their learning most of the time when they were in a guided reading group session with the teacher. However, I noticed that many students were off-task or quite noisy when they had to work independently. For many students, tasks were not being completed on time.


Vocabulary: I noticed that students often lacked an understanding of unfamiliar or challenging vocabulary when asked for the meaning of the word during a running record or PROBE test. The use of a range of precise words was also often lacking in e-AsTTle writing samples. Analysis of data collected from STAR Tests also identified vocabulary as an area that needed attention. 


Extended Discussion: This has been a focus for Manaiakalani for a while now. It is an area of focus in Team 5 this year. I made an attempt to introduce and implement extended discussion sessions as part of my literacy programme earlier in the year, however, I know that I have not done it justice. Extended discussion provides an opportunity for students to develop their critical thinking, communication, listening and oral language skills. 



No comments:

Post a Comment