Monday 3 May 2021

Inquiry Focus 2021 - Cross Grouping for Literacy

In Term One the reading data for Team 4 was quite interesting. Across our team of around 150 students, we had quite a large group of students who were reading 'well below' and 'below' their expected reading age. This was a definitely a problem so I decided to base my inquiry around this issue. 

Rooms 6, 7, and 8 is mostly made up of Year 6 students with a large group of Year 5 students as well. During Term 1 the students all stayed in their home class for literacy throughout the day. In Term 2, I asked my colleagues if we could cross group our reading groups so that I could work with the students in my target group. 

Today was the first day meeting with my 'new' literacy group. We tried writing about todays immersion assembly and that's when I realised how much help most of the students needed in this group. Tomorrow we will start with the guided reading lessons. It's going to be an interesting term. 


3 comments:

  1. I have worked in a team where we cross grouped for maths. I look forward to hearing how cross grouping for reading works. Lyndal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lyndal

    Thanks for leaving a comment. So far so good with the cross grouping for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Sandy
    Term 1 was a bit of a challenge with the lockdowns and settling the children into school and learning. It’s good that you have noticed a problem and decided to inquire about it. I think that the students benefit a lot from cross grouping but I don’t have much experience in this department. Wishing you all the best with this and look forward to hear what happens next.

    ReplyDelete