Wednesday 11 October 2017

ULearn 2017 - Day 1: Computational Thinking

Computational Thinking - Breakout 2


Integrating coding (computational thinking) into your classroom programme
Presenter: David Kinane



David has an amazing site that we could access to try out some of the things that he talked about - Computational Thinking




By using a programme e.g. Scratch, students will identify a problem, list steps to achieve a goal, pattern match, create an algorithm, then reflect.


Early years basics - useful for Junior teachers


3 main areas of Focus:
  1. Makey Makey using Scratch
  2. Arduino
  3. Drone

I was at a table which had the Makey Makey gear so I used it to create a mini keyboard using playdough. We have used Makey Makey and Scratch before in my Year 7 & 8 Extension class. I have no idea how to use the Arduino kit so will need to look more into this when I’m back at school. I didn’t get the chance to fly the drone, but I’m not too worried.

No comments:

Post a Comment